Thursday 3 June 2010

A Guy Called Gerald "Voodoo Ray" (1988)



This record CHANGED MY LIFE. Coulda-woulda-shoulda been the first tune I put up on here. I first heard it summer of 88, at the first house party I'd thrown at my folks without their knowledge. I wrecked the house, snogged the greatest gal I'd ever met and discovered one of the greatest pieces of recorded music ever all in one night. High fiiiive.

This still sounds completely original and is still as hypnotic and sensual as ever. I wish I could say I first heard it in the Hacienda or Shoom, but nah - I was in me ma's kitchen in Crosby. Off a "Deep Heat" compilation someone brought over. It absolutely stopped me in my tracks as those beats and that amazing vocal came pouring out of my Toshiba ghetto blaster. I'd had nothing stronger than a few cans of Breaker that night, but it blew my mind.

I've since heard it in varying states of sobriety all over the world, from sweaty underground Manchester clubs to Malaysian beach parties, and every time I hear it I think of that moment, on that night. This tune sends me. Every time. And there's not many that do.

No comments:

Post a Comment